Saturday, January 03, 2009

nfl playoff predictions

Have been thinking about this for a day or two now. The games start this afternoon so I'd better hurry up and list my predictions so folks know which teams NOT to bet on. So, without further ado...

NFC...I like Minnesota to advance but I will say that Philly was a tough draw in the opener. They beat the Giants a few weeks back and they routed the Cowgirls last week, so they’re for real. Were it in Philly it’d be a different story, but I have to take the Vikes in the dome; I think they’ll pull it together and do what they do best—-keep it simple and pound the ball.

Arizona just hasn't impressed me all season and the Falcons have come on strong, so I like Atlanta by a lot in that one. Arizona played in the weakest division in football and still only managed 9-7. They’re the closest thing to a bye week of any team playing this weekend. Their offense can light up the field though, so hopefully they’ll keep it interesting and maybe even pull off the upset.

Overall? Call me crazy, but I have to take the Vikes. They've been sketchy of late, but I like their style. It’s been said that great teams can run and stop the run. And that’s what the Vikes do. They could be in trouble if they get too far behind and have to start throwing to catch up, or if their passing game can’t keep defenses at least semi-honest, but they’re good enough up front on both sides of the ball and with Peterson doing the carrying that they can rely solely on playing smash-mouth football and go far (a la the Ravens several years back and the ’06 Bears). Despite the previous weeks’ performances, I think they have the elements of a real contender. Minnesota is wildly inconsistent but plenty capable of putting together a tough two-game road stretch to out the Panthers and then the Giants. The younger Manning could give the Vikings’ secondary fits if he’s on, but I don’t expect that. It could also be a blizzard in NYC when they play, which would favor Minnesota big time.

AFC...this one seems to me to be a little easier to guess at simply because one team has been so great the second half of the season. Balto-Miami will be a big one. I think Baltimore is just a tougher and better team, and the Ravens can win in Miami. But then they’ll have to face the Titans and that will be their undoing. Tennessee is overrated and has been very suspect toward the end of the season, but they're good enough to survive the Ravens.

The Colts are much too strong for even a resurgent SD I think. And I just read that LT an Gates are not 100%. Unlike others, I don't see this one being very close. Indy took a while to get going early in the season but has returned to the old form we're used to seeing. I also think the Chargers will stumble a bit after the emotional high they've been on for the past three weeks.

If Balto wins then Indy plays in Pittsburgh next week. That will be the AFC championship, as either of those teams can beat Tennessee or Baltimore. And I’m taking the Colts—-they’re old but they still have enough left to go on a tear through the second half of the season and the postseason. They’re as good as any team in the league right now and they’re flying below the radar, which helps them.

Stupid Bowl...as weird as it is, I foresee a Colts-Vikings stupid bowl, with Manning & Co. scorching the Vikes’ suspect pass D and forcing the purple men into pass mode early, thus turning it into a rather one-sided and uninteresting game. Indy 38, Minn 14. But if my picks hold up as well as my projections for the playoffs first round, then most of the above is crap anyway.

| | << Main <<