Saturday, January 12, 2008

playoffs second round predictions

Since other folks are doing it, I shall also seek to educate the masses on what to expect in this weekend's NFL games...

Indy vs. SD: The Chargers are the "Why are we still here?" team of the playoffs this year. And the Colts should be looking for redemption for that terrible Week 10 loss to SD. So SD don't have a snowball's chance of beating Indy at Indy. Colts by double digits.

NE vs. Jax: Tough call. Before the Jags' underwhelming performance and near loss last week against the not-so-great Steelers, I was high on them as a dark horse in the AFC playoffs. Now I'm not so sure. They didn't even attempt to play defense in the second half last week, and Garrard doesn't look like he should be leading a playoff team. Their inability to stop the Pats from scoring or keep up with them will bite them this week. As much as I hate to, I have to go with NE. But I'll be rooting with all my being for Jax to put that cheatin' trash in its place.

GB vs. Seattle: Both of these NFC games are hard to predict because the underdogs are so woefully inconsistent. Seattle can play with anybody or lose to anybody and it's impossible to know which Squawks team will show up. Even then, and even with the whole Brett Farve experience and fan favorite thing, I like Seattle in this one. As long as Hasselbeck doesn't win an overtime coin flip, blurt out another "We want the ball and we're gonna score!" comment, and promptly throw a game-ending touchdown pass to a Packers cornerback, Seattle should come out on top. But I don't expect history to repeat itself today, so Seattle in a close one.

Dallas vs. NY: The Giants are like Seattle, only not as good. They'd have to play their best game vs. the Cowgirls and even then the Cowgirls would have to play like crap for NY to have an opening. Even then, no way am I taking Eli to put together some kind of two-game playoff run. As with the Jax game, my gut feel trumps my extreme hatred of one of the teams, and I must take the Cowgirls. This one probably won't be close but I hope it is.

There you have it. Take 'em to the bank!

UPDATE: "I have to go with NE"...thank you very much. I was impressed with the way Jax put up a fight, but once again, their defense crapped out in the second half and their offense couldn't make up the difference. I really wished they'd have gone low at Brady just once and taken out both his knees though. Okay, not really, but it would have been funny on some level. "Seattle in a close one"...whoops. Figured Good Seattle would show up, but Bad Seattle showed up instead. What's up with the Pack putting up 42 points in a blizzard? Holy crap...come on Squawks, you still have to play D even in the snow.

UPDATE II: "Colts by double digits"..."I must take the Cowgirls"...geez. That makes me 1-3 this week, and I thought Jax would have the best shot at a stunning upset. That's why I never wager a lot of money on sports. I didn't see the Giants-'Girls game, but I thought San Diego looked like they were in total control against Indy the whole afternoon. The Colts' only hope was that the Rivers injury would let them sneak by, but then Volek came in and put that one to bed. Amazing. By the way, over the past three years the Colts have been amazing during the regular season but have lost their first playoff game twice (both in a stunning upset at home after a bye). Perhaps they swapped places with the Chargers this year...used to be that SD couldn't win a postseason game, but they've now won two so far. I don't think any of the three left can beat the Pats though, which depresses me and makes me wish the inevitable nightmarish outcome of this postseason would just hurry up and get here so I can get over it sooner.

| | << Main <<