Monday, April 02, 2007

random bible observations

Numbers 7 has 89 verses. Holy crap. That makes it the longest non-Psalm 119 chapter I'm aware of. It's very repetitive too. Seems that Moses could have saved some time and effort by just summarizing the totals and then listing the names, rather than listing the exact same offering 12 times. (Interestingly, the grammar isn't the exact same, though I would have expected each event to be recorded the same way.) But I suppose that shows attention to detail too. He could have conveyed the same info in less words but didn't. That indicates to me that he went well out of his way to show exactly what happened and in what order and such, as if it's some sort of legal document. Which in turn makes it more reliable as a historical document. To me anyway.

| | << Main <<