Friday, March 16, 2007

the joy of working nights

This outage schedule is something weird. I had intended to go to sleep during the daylight hours and stay up at night throughout the week, even when I wasn't working. So far that hasn't worked too well due to commitments on my off-days and somewhat unexpected surgery. But despite those, my off-day schedule each week has been wacked out. It's as if I can't figure out when or find a convenient time to sleep, so I just kinda stay up for a while, sleep for a few hours, stay up, sleep, and eventually end up about where I need to be come Saturday evening (that is, having slept most of the day Saturday). For example, it's just after 2 am now and I'm wide awake, and I have a doctor's appointment in 7.5 hrs that will force me to once again get a few spot hours of sleep and then go as long as I can before crashing again at some random time later today. I guess, rather than a 24-hour sleep schedule, I'm on a random weekly sleep schedule in which I fill in hours with sleep whenever I happen to get tired.

I figure this is what life in a place like Alaska must feel like, with no consistent day-night pattern to help one keep a regular sleep schedule. As a result, one quickly loses any concept of day/night or time without glancing outside every now and then to see how dark or light it is. A bit weird, but I can't say I mind it all that much. Heck, it beats having to get up early five days a week.

| | << Main <<