Wednesday, March 21, 2007

tillman wasn't the only one

Here's a story about another former NFL player who left pro football to join the military and will soon go to war. Just think, back in the early '40's this sort of thing was routine. Read through some NFL draft statistics from back in the day and see how many players -- and how many top picks -- either never played or waited several years to play because they chose war above sports. Quite amazing and humbling. But alas, times have changed. It's good to know there are still a few these days who realize some things are more worthy of fighting for than football.

But then, I'm (almost) 28 myself and I'm not in any hurry to enlist, so I suppose I should shut up now and quit being a hypocrite. Oh well...you win some decisions and you lose some I guess.

| | << Main <<