Saturday, March 17, 2007

march madness day 2

After a rough 11-5 second day, I'm at 24-8 overall. That's pretty crappy. In past years I've gotten high-twenties wins in the first round, so my bracket is in some hurt. I guess the good thing is, all of my Sweet 16 picks are still alive. And I still like them all except maybe Nevada, which looked very shaky against Creighton and now must play Memphis.

Interesting BCS conference records that may only interest me: ACC 4-2, Big 12 3-1, Big East 3-3, Big Ten 5-1, Pac-10 4-2, SEC 4-1 (go Hogs). Pretty even so far, except that the almighty Big East has sucked it up. Wasn't that supposed to the best conference in college basketball this year? Apparently not. Speaking of, I just realized the Big East has 16 (!) teams. Why have I not noticed this before? No freakin' wonder they seem to have a disproportionate number of good teams every year. They have a disproportionate number of teams, period. Cheaters!

This weekend's games should be good. With so few upsets in the first round, there will be a lot of marquee matchups. And my bracket could come out of this looking okay. Five of those eight teams that ruined my first round will have to play a 1 or 2 seed this weekend, so those errors shouldn't have lasting effects. Two of the other three will play 4-5 games so those could easily both go my way. The third is Nevada against Memphis. Ouch, but if I have to pick the underdog in a 2-7 game then that would be it.

So, overall, I'm in dire straits now but could still win every game this weekend. Not bad.

| | << Main <<