Monday, March 19, 2007

march madness second round

I thought I was doing well earlier...so much for that. My bracket isn't totally destroyed but is probably crapped up enough to prevent me from being in the winner's circle of my pool. I only went 12-4 this week, and Texas and Nevada losing will hurt in future rounds. Worst of all, my champ Ohio State is playing like they're trying to lose early.

I can't complain much about Nevada, as they were a gutsy cinderella pick on my part. I hoped they'd go far enough to give me a huge leg up on the competition but I can't say I'm too disappointed that they didn't. Hey, I gambled and lost. I can deal with that. And my Washington State and Wisconsin losses should take care of themselves in the next round. (Why the heck did I pick a Pac-10 team over an SEC team? Even if it was Vanderbilt...speaking of Vandy, what's up with them thinking they're a top seed? Georgetown should be very scared.)

But Texas...I'm hugely disappointed in their complete lack of effort in their games. You have one of the best players in the nation and enough talent to put you in the early-season top 10, and when it counts you barely hold off New Mexico State and then get blown off the floor by a Pac-10 team? Ye bunch of losers. I don't know if that's due to lack of coaching or lack of caring on the part of the team, but there's no excuse for that. I had you slouches in the Final Four...#&$%!!! See if I make that mistake again in my life.

And so far, Georgetown and Ohio State are looking surprisingly weak. At least Florida and UCLA still look like solid picks. And I did have some nice picks that worked out, like Butler and Tennessee. But overall...my bracket is on life support at best. My dark horse picks that could have given me big points over my rivals haven't panned out, and the teams I have left are likely too popular to net me any advantages in later rounds. Oh well...there's always next year. And as I like to remind myself, my winnings from a tourney pool at my previous job are still financing my suckiness these days so I haven't actually started going under yet as far as brackets.

| | << Main <<