Sunday, May 07, 2006

philippines: day 9, sunday, april 16

Easter! God is risen! Went to Ding's church in the morning, Walt preached. Then more fellowship time with his congregation. Those people are all so nice, and always so glad to see us. So different from America. They just have a joy that we in America don't have, and it's reflected in their countenance and they way they carry themselves in whatever they do. I think that's what will stick with me from this trip. It's certainly something I need so much more of in my own life.

We spent some early afternoon time discussing career aspects iwth a group of about 20-30 young Filipinos in the church. I felt I did a good job of sharing what I think are important things to consider as a Christian in the workpalce (evangelism through actions, reliance on more mature believers, building deeper-than-only-work relationships), and it was good to hear Pastor Ding repeat and reinfoce some of what I said. I was very pleased with how the time went.

After a brief run home, we went to a five-couple wedding officiated by Ding. Walt gave the message, lasted maybe an hour total. It was interesting to see a mass wedding; needless to say, that was a new experience for me. Very plain and more casual than I had expected, but it was nice. (Couples in the squatters' villages typically don't get married officially because it costs money, so they just start living together with no marriage document. Performing official marriages for them is a form of outreach into their communities for Pastor Ding.) Overall it was cool, and we were able to give them flowers and Bibles as gifts. Some of the couples didn't seem too excited though; they'd likely been living together for many years and, in the words of Ofie (Ding's wife), "lots of water under the bridge." Funny way of putting it I think.

Dinner at the house with the missionaries was very cool. Got to talk to Lolo Harvey some more; I'm really impressed with him and his vision of ministering to street kids by teaching them practical skills. And he mentioned that he sees a real need for more instructors to teach industrial arts stuff. Hmmn...perhaps my father would someday be interested?

Finally, the ministry focus part of the trip comes to a close. It wasn't always easy, but God taught me so much! I need to work on people skills, I really need to work on kids skills, perhaps I ought to look at doing ministry through an engineering career, I seem to be comfortable in third-world settings once I adjust to them. Most of all, I can't let myself slip back into my old ways when I get home. So important! But for now, on to PG!

| | << Main <<