Wednesday, May 03, 2006

philippines: day 5, wednesday, april 12

AM - More time with Deng's congregation, did outreach around a different neighborhood then some VBS stuff with other kids...or maybe the other way around; can't remember. Such a poor area...hard to imagine people living there. But getting out and walking around was cool, and the VBS went well too. But I'll never figure out how the squeezed 70 kids into an outdoor courtyard that was maybe the size of a normal living room in the States. Did much better on my "blood of Jesus" presentations this time, especially with the adults. But I relate to adults better so no surprise.

Can't remember what we did for lunch..afternoon was spent doing outreach at Eugene's area (for me; others did VBS again). I enjoyed this one too...got to lead a bit of the EE discussion (thru God, then to Pam) and did well with it I thought. Most importantly, God blessed our efforts with three out of three professions! One (Jorban) did still seem to not understand, but the other two (Danny, Pinky) seemed genuine. Danny was especially excited and even tried to push me through so I'd tell him how to get eternal life! So impatience can be a virtue sometimes I guess...

Dinner was pizza at the house, so two straight nights of eating in! Rock on. Wasn't as good as the chef's salad but better than another meal eating out. Then the devotion and once again I'm too far behind in stuff. I'm actually writing this journal entry on Friday...oh well, some things never change I guess. Need God's help on that. Badly!

Observations...God only asks for our faith in Him. These people have so little and don't have the overall knowledge of some in the States but their faith seems much more real. Cita and her husband became Christians last June and soon afterward donated a tract of land for the new church site of Eugene's congregation. And they don't have much; he's been unemployed for two years. But they have faith and trust. I wish we had more of these kinds of believers in America!

For me...I still need to relax and trust God more with stuff I have to prepare for in life, both short-term and on a bigger scale. I could learn a lot from these people! I hope I do, and I really hope I don't forget it when I get back to the States and back to my grind as usual.

| | << Main <<