Monday, May 01, 2006

philippines: day 3, monday, april 10

AM - worked with children in and around Cornerstone Christian Community (Pastor Ding's church). Was great working with the children, though I struggle to really relate to them and interact with them. All good experience though; maybe I'll be better at it someday. Fellowship with Pastor Ding and some of the adult members was good too, although I got stuck inthe corner of the hut thing and couldn't get out to play basketball much. Talked to Nimrod a bit and Noah (Pastor Ding's son) also; Nimrod is in seminary now and Noah wants to go eventually. Nimrod 24, Noah 14.

VBS in the afternoon was okay. I was too uncomfortable in the environment to enjoy it much. Working with the kids was hard and the lesson didn't seem to be planned too much. That or it was reviewed when I wasn't there in Sunday School beforehand. But I didn't know any of the songs or presentations. I let my frustration with that get the best of me and I think that kept me from enjoying the time more.

Dinner was at Pho Roa or whatever that Vietnamese place was called. Sucked all around - bad service with my drink and food orders ignored, lousy food, me unable to get in on any good conversation. I feel like such a dumb rock sometimes; it's so hard having so little interpersonal/relational ability. Makes life difficult in so many ways. But I did get to send a lengthy email home and shoot off some to Steve and Peter. That made up for the meal experience.

Oh, and I led the first Jonah study this morning. That was probably the highlight of my day! I wasn't so nervous and I thought the study went really well. Good discussion, and it moved at only a slightly slower pace than I had planned for (which was good!). A real confidence builder for my upcoming Acts study leadership in Crossroads.

I still feel like a pampered American over here. I wish we could eat in more and interact with the culture more, but I guess there are good reasons we can't (health, time, etc. - but isn't God protecting us while we're here?). But it's like we're some foreign tour group or something, shuttled from one site to the next. Been bothering me.

Overall an exhausting day that could have gone better. I need help from God with relating to people, especially kids, and just having patience to deal with unexpected twists as they come. But I'm at least learning a lot. Getting dark out here on the roof...can see well enough to write anymore...

| | << Main <<