Tuesday, May 02, 2006

philippines: day 4, tuesday, april 11

Spent AM with ABP boys at the pool. What an awesome experience! Probably the best of the trip so far. Talked to Nancy (Dale's wife) for a while then Buboy at the end. Dragged kids through the water and threw kids into the air for almost three hours - was great! First time this trip I've been able to really be comfortable around children. They're so cute, too. They seem to have this happiness and innocence to them taht American children don't have. Katie mentioned something about less distractions and a plainer lifestyle; must have something to do with it. Was great to be with Apo, Matthew, Jason, Ivan, Carlo, Athan, John Chris, John Mark, Etel, Booknoy, and so many others...

Good bonding during the drive time, too. Talked to Kery a bit, had fun with the others. Getting along even better with Travis; lots of humor and such back and forth. Praise God for great team dynamics all around for this excursion!

Afternoon - evangelism with Walt, Cita and her husband, in the area where Pastor Eugene's new church will be. Made some contacts and handed out some tracts but were turned away by most people. I did get to share part o fthe EE outline (through Heaven and Man) with one woman and then lead her in a prayer to accept Christ! That was very cool..first time for everything. Got back to the church late though, about 5:30. But well worth the time spent.

Ate in for dinner - chef's salad and pineapple. By far the best dinner so far. I had been getting tired of always eating out and feeling so spoiled, so it was nice to eat in for a change. Hopefully this will continue.

Had a good discussion with Walt and Curtis about our purpose and impact as a short-term team. It's hard to interact or learn the culture much in the very short time we have here, and getting shuttled around everywhere like a tour group doesn't help any. But I'm convinced we're doing good work - God's work - here and opening doors for the local churches that wouldn't otherwise be opened, so it's worth it. Hard to keep that in perspective sometimes though.

I feel like I have no time to myself here! I'm always either doing team stuff or trying to get ready for the next day. I'd like to do more personal study kinda stuff, or even just keep abreast of everything on my plate for this trip, but it's not happening. I haven't kept up with the Jonah reading and I haven't ever started on my short Bible lesson yet. Just have to pray that it all comes together. But I know it will.

Prayer...just need to relax! I'm too stressed out and that's hurting my ministry to others and within the team. Also still having trouble fitting in with the team.

| | << Main <<