Sunday, November 20, 2005

another potential undertaking

Since I've been in the habit lately of writing about stuff I want to do more of, I'll add another. Listening to my Burlap to Cashmere CD over the past couple of weeks has reminded me of how cool it would be to be able to play a mandolin. I remember seeing some in action when B2C opened at a Jars of Clay concert and thinking it was an awesome instrument then without even knowing what it was. Almost seven years later I still haven't touched one but I'm still thinking it'd be neat to play. And it seems quite versatile, too. It can play the soft classical-sounding stuff, almost like a harp or classical guitar, and it can also fit into fast music and bluegrass, the latter being something I'd really love to immerse myself in a lot more.

If I thought I had the diligence to stay with it and really learn it I'd probably buy one and get going. But I don't even know how hard it is to learn or play. And the last time I bought an instrument (guitar) with the intention of picking up some musical skill, I touched it for all of a few hours and that was it. I don't even know where the thing is now or even if I still have it. Some investment that was. Of course I was in college and dealing with problems far greater than school so maybe things would be different now. Although one thing I've always had plenty of is laziness so maybe not. But I might just go out on a limb and pick one up sometime...if nothing else it'd sure be cool to toy with every now and then.

| | << Main <<