Saturday, November 12, 2005

the saturday night thing

Perhaps I can actually write a short post now since I have to go somewhere soon. Will be eating out and bowling tonight with some friends...the usual crowd with no commitments on Saturdays. The fellowship is great but we all agree it's kinda funny and sad at the same time, in some ways.

We have often thought of inviting others we don't usually hang out with to come along, but the same issues keep coming up. Who do we invite, since we can't just invite the entire singles group we're in, and not step on any feelings or whatever by leaving some out? How do we cover our bases and make sure we have a good number of people and a good mix such that we all enjoy ourselves? It's like we have to plan stuff to work out just right before we even start. Obviously we haven't figured it out yet because it's still the same few of us with no new faces. Kinda like a guys' night out I guess...never really intended to be that way but it always happens like that nonetheless. I suppose if we were a bit more organized and prepared we'd do some arrangements prior to a few hours before, but that hasn't happened yet. And we'd like to invite some of the women in the group along (not only on this weekly ritual of sorts but on other outings too) but that comes with its own set of complications and pitfalls. But again, there are advantages to spending a few hours with just guys you know well.

Oh well...what's a group of guys to do? It's always enjoyable but I have a feeling we could get more out of it and reach out more if we could just learn how to. Damn social skills, always the problem...

UPDATE: Great time. I had forgotten how cool bowling is. I need to do that more often, and the rest of the guys seemed up for the idea too. Of course I seem to think that about every activity I do nowadays, be it ice skating or dancing or concerts or whatever. It remains to be seen how much of it I'll actually do on a regular basis...I guess the bottom line is I just need to get out more.

| | << Main <<