Saturday, November 19, 2005

two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

That's one of the few things I learned tonight. But overall it seemed like the dancing this time was HARD compared to the only other time I've been to one of these dance things, back in July. And this wasn't even my first time. The moves were much harder I thought (for those to whom it means anything, they taught the foxtrot and the triple-step swing, the latter being a severe test of coordination and impossible for those of us with little dexterity to work with). Whereas last time I kinda felt like I at least understood what the dances were if I couldn't do them, this time I was pretty much blown away. And, unfortunately, it certainly showed. Forget near-misses, my partner and/or myself collided with other couples almost every time I was on the floor. Granted the floor seemed smaller this time, but it was as if I didn't have any awareness about me. It was very frustrating to keep having to reset myself out there and as the evening went on I actually started feeling kinda sorry for those I was dancing with. It was an enjoyable experience nonetheless; thankfully I learned sometime recently how to laugh at such things, one of those skills that would have been handy the previous quarter century or so. But I feel like I took a few steps backward in my ability (and with what little I went in with I basically have none left now).

I still think this whole dancing thing is something I'll keep doing, as despite the problems it's been fun both times (in my entire life) I've been. If nothing else it at least forces me out of my comfort zone and makes me learn new stuff and I've found that's always a good thing. It's one of those basic facts of life that would have done me worlds of good had I learned it about a decade or so ago. Perhaps had I picked up on this and been more socially active earlier I wouldn't be as inept or timid around people as I am now. But alas, water under the bridge I guess.

Maybe the weirdest and most frightening fallout from my presence at dances is my increasing tolerance--even appreciation--of old tunes like Sinatra stuff and obscure songs from musicals I'd never heard before. I'm not exactly an artsy person or musically inclined in any way, nor do I have any prior experience with such things, so I'm a bit surprised I like the stuff. I guess it's because it means something to me now. I can't say I "get it" but I have a reason to like it and pay attention to it. I don't know much about such music, of course, and it gives me the kind of feeling I have so often nowadays of wishing I had spent more time earlier in life feeding this and other interests.

I suppose I now have a decision to make. I may get into a dance class (...pause to let that soak in...) come early next year, if my work schedule will allow it and I don't have to bring a partner with me. I think I could get around the work stuff, but if I had to ask somebody to join the class with me that could be the end of that. There are so many ways that could come back to bite me it's likely better to just not open that can of worms. Dancing or no dancing that's not the kind of space I see myself getting into just yet. At least not under these circumstances.

| | << Main <<