Sunday, June 08, 2008

freedom trail

I wandered a bit of the Freedom Trail yesterday afternoon and finally got some pics of Boston (with the new camera, but more on that later). I did more wandering and looking than purposeful walking really, so I figure I only covered about a third of the trail. But I saw a lot of good sites, like the Granary Burial Ground, the Old South Church, and the Old State House. There was also some kind of farmers'/produce market that caused great trouble for anyone attempting to follow the Trail through it, a street entertainment thing with performers that were good enough to get some of my cash, some sort of military bands show in Faneuil Hall, and other oddities that I didn't expect to see. Overall a good time, but there's a lot along the Trail so I'll have to allot at least another afternoon to it.

Anyway, some pics are below. Note the balcony on the Old State House that came in handy for open-air oratories. There's also an open-air pulpit on the second story of the Park Street Church that faces the street corner (it's very hard to see in the picture) -- now there's a church feature you don't see much of anymore. I couldn't get a better shot of the Old North Church because it was closed, and so this was my stopping point for the day. And for you who don't follow even the basics of sports, the Garden in the last picture is where the Celtics will host the Lakers tonight in Game 2 of the NBA finals.

Park Street Church from the Boston Common

Self-explanatory, in Granary Burial Ground

Old South Meeting-House (i.e. Old South Church)

Old State House

Awesome street performer

Rose Kennedy Greenway (I think)

Old North Church

Zakim Bridge (over the Charles River) and TD Banknorth Garden

| | << Main <<