Sunday, May 25, 2008

knocked up

That's the name of the movie I just watched all of except what little beginning part I missed. (That's one of the perks of staying in a hotel I guess, getting special HBO channels that show movies uninterrupted by commercials or pitches for other movies.) I'd heard of it when it was in theatres a year or so ago. Given what I'd thought of other Apatow films to date, I assumed it would be some sort of crass, baseless flick that would be full of that crude, shallow, "Family Guy" style of humor that I usually find boring at best and repulsive at worst. But I watched a little of it and it seemed okay, so I left it on.

Though I didn't really expect to, I actually watched the whole thing through and liked it. Sure, it has some of the weird humor, but not as much as I expected. I'd say it has a real, actual plot to it, too, which took me very much by surprise. Of course it's got all the regular stuff you'd expect from an R-rated movie these days, but I can handle that in moderate amounts as long as it's funny or violent enough. And I thought a lot of stuff in the movie was pretty funny.

I could kinda relate to the plot line too -- not through having experienced it, obviously, but in general. From my point of view, the story is, more or less, about a laid-back slacker who's living life as normal and has an unexpected life-altering event that changes things against his wishes. Given the same situation, I'd certainly have the same fears and despair, and possibly the same joy, as the main dude. The guy has to grow up a lot faster than he'd like, adjust his priorities, learn a bunch of new roles, and generally turn his life upside down in the ways having a first child must require. I thought there were actually a few "teaching moments" in there, too, in which the characters actually deal with real issues and discuss true stuff.

So, I guess if you're like me you never know what movies you'll end up liking and even learning from. But you know what the best part is? It was all a movie and not my own life. When I turned off the boob tube, that was the end of it.

You hear that? That's because it's the sound of silence, folks. God help me if I ever don't have space in my life for that!

| | << Main <<