Friday, May 16, 2008

new toy

I haven't done any better at finding my way in this here Boston area than I have anywhere else I've ever moved to. After getting lost the first three times I got in the car and went further than the hotel parking lot, I decided I needed some help in that department. So I bought a new gadget. Call it a fuel conservation device. And my friends at Circuit City gave me a deal on it, so the savings in gas should pay for it eventually, not to mention the frustration it will hopefully save me.

Friends had recommended this one over some others, and it has a longer battery life than others I looked at (very important since I intend to use it when walking and biking). Setup was very easy; it found satellites quickly and I was programming it like a pro within minutes. I'm also impressed with the battery life, and it recharges very fast in the car so an AC adapter isn't necessary. The touchscreen is easy to use and it's very easy to see and work with in the car as well.

But the routing...that takes some getting used to. The first time I used it, it told me to take back roads when there's an interstate right next to my hotel. When I got suspicious and took the interstate instead, it freaked out and talked my ear off ("recalculating...recalculating...recalculating...") until I muted it. So if you get off track then it won't let you forget. But I took its route on the return trip, and it showed me a cool shortcut through a forest preserve that saved some time. So it was right but annoying. It needs to be quiet if it can't figure out a new route in short order (such as when there are no interstate exits immediately ahead). It did recalculate quickly and accurately when I was on city streets though.

It should really help with getting to know the area too. Being able to glance at it in the car and see street names and route turns coming before they pass by is invaluable, especially since my night vision sucks. Also, given the funky intersections around here that come in all kinds of confusing varieties, something that explains exactly how to navigate through them and end up on the desired street several seconds later is quite nice to have. It's handy indoors too; I've been playing with its "Points of Interest" list to find out what restaurants, groceries, etc. are nearby.

As a bonus, when I registered online with Garmin, I found out I was somehow eligible for a FREE upgrade to their 2009 maps. Retail on that map upgrade is $70! Anyone who knows me knows I'm all about free stuff, so such a steal is just that much sweeter. And the new maps will have more roads, points of interest, and the like. They're taking forever to download (as in, several hours on the hotel's barely-high-speed connection), being more than 2 GB, but they should be well worth it.

Overall I'm happy with the new gismo. (I'm especially pleased it has a mute function.) A little pricey, yes, but incredibly handy -- and highly recommended for anyone who ever goes to unfamiliar areas. It gives me options without me having to first study a route, print directions, and hope there are no nuances along the way to throw me off. More importantly, it gives me courage to venture out and go places without being too concerned with getting lost or deciphering the printed directions in hand. I'm looking forward to using it more. Between Mapquesting routes beforehand and using the GPS in the car, I should be invincible to the pain and suffering of getting lost, right?

Speaking of expenses, what the heck is going on here? New car...new car accessories...moving/travel costs...new laptop...perhaps new software and printer to go with it...and now a new GPS toy? I'm spending money like I'm the federal government or something -- with the exception being that I'm actually spending my own money, of course. Time to hurry up and get working to replenish my bank account, especially before that next credit card bill hits. Chase is gonna love me after that one.

| | << Main <<