Friday, June 29, 2007

hot deals to greenland

Not! Just got a brochure in the mail advertising great rates for Greenland vacations -- ever since subscribing to those National Geographic travel magazines I've received those advertisements frequently -- and I figured Greenland might just be close enough and untraversed enough to be a hidden diamond in the rough as a cheap adventure destination, so I opened it up. And saw that their two featured sweet deals are...minimum $2,675 for 5 days/4 nights in Kangerlussauq (wherever the heck that is) or $3,100 for 4/3 of glacier sightseeing. Um...okay, those don't fall into my "affordable" category so I won't waste my time going to the website. I did Egypt for three weeks and change for the low end of those prices. And that was with dropping $1,600 on the plane ticket alone. Granted, that was three years ago and the U.S. has dug itself into a crater in the world economy since then, but still...what the heck. Buncha fools...or maybe Greenland is instead a high-end playground for the wealthy and not the common adventure-seeker's undiscovered paradise.

In any case, I won't be buying my tickets anytime soon. Third world countries are still where the action is when it comes to good trips at good prices. More and more I think the only good way to see developed countries is to land a short-term job assignment in one of them...which I need to work on.

| | << Main <<