Thursday, May 31, 2007

a sampling of pics

As you know, Blogger and I don't get along when it comes to posting pictures, so I won't get too creative here. Just mouse over the picture for a short description.

Toward the beginning of the South Kaibab Trail.
Further down the SKT.
Still further down the SKT.
The wind tunnel bridge.
Our home for two nights at Bright Angel Campground.
North Kaibab Trail.
Ribbon Falls from afar.
From behind the falls.
The sign. Trust me, it really is possible to get from behind the falls to here via the 'path' shown.
A hungry guest stops by our campsite for breakfast.
On the Bright Angel Trail bridge.  (It's downriver of the South Kaibab Trail one.)
Just across the bridge and about to start up the BAT.
Note how steep the BAT was during the first day up.  It got worse as we climbed higher.
The waterfalls just off the BAT, a short hike down from Indian Garden Campground.
HELP!!  Wait...this rocks!
The overlook near the waterfalls, perhaps my favorite picture from the trip.
Plateau Point.  Per my guidebook the drop here should be over 1,000 feet.  This was a rather scary picture to get.
The obligatory Plateau Point picture -- can't hike the Grand Canyon without getting one of these.
Near the first rest stop on the second day up the BAT, three miles from the rim.
Near the top of the BAT.
Proof that, though beyond exhausted at this point, we actually made it to the trailhead.
I may be the only one who thinks this is cool, but hey, it's my blog.
The weird igneous landscape of the Sunset Crater Volcano area.
On the trails at Sedona!
Red Rock Country, as seen from a point reachable only from the air or by ATV.
These pictures don't even remotely do justice to the awesomeness of the area out there. There's too much detail like depth and surrounding views missing. But I guess to get the real effect you just have to be there. This was my third trip out to that Arizona-Utah-Nevada area, and it hasn't started getting old yet. I don't see how it could. Though I also love international travel and being in different cultures and such, I agree with a co-worker in that we don't need to leave the country to see truly amazing parts of the world.

| | << Main <<