Thursday, October 27, 2005

let there be hope for the court!

And there was much rejoicing! Just wanted to put up some quick thoughts on the news that made my week. I'm obviously no big fan of Miers' nomination, but at least she has enough honor to step down early and not force an ugly and humiliating series of hearings. We have to respect her for that. I didn't like how she tried to play up the Senate's documents requests as if that had a lot to do with it though. But nonetheless one must give credit where credit is due.

My take is that Bush backed himself into a corner on that nomination and is rightfully eating some crow for it now. And I'm loving that. Not that I hate Bush so much--although I admit that after this debacle there's not a lot he can do to regain my trust very soon--but I hope he gets soundly beaten for a while over this. He needs it and he needs to learn to quit playing crony politics. He made a huge mistake by spitting on his campaign promise to put strong conservatives on the Court, and it sure was nice to see that a lot of conservatives weren't having it. Such gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, the current political setup has some shreds of hope left in it yet.

But now we're back to where we were before. The big question remains of Bush, will he keep his end of the bargain or will he pander for support? I hope he chooses the former but my gut tells me he'll take the latter. He's got that irritating habit of playing politics with huge issues, but maybe he'll come around this time. We can hope and pray.

As for my prediction? His last two have caught me by surprise big time, but I'm almost sure it will be someone outside his administration since that was such a big issue this time. Who? I have no clue but I'm pulling for Brown or maybe Estrada.

Malkin: "Now, onto a candidate that conservatives can be proud of, okay?" Second. Plenty more blogosphere stuff over there.

| | << Main <<