Wednesday, October 12, 2005

we have met the enemy and it is us

Awesome. Just found out today that I, as well as everyone else who works where I do, will have to go through diversity training. I used to laugh at the wacked companies that took the PC craze to such extremes but I guess I have to quit laughing now. Perhaps our work environment has somehow become too insensitive or unfriendly for one person at the entire place. Well, that'd be enough.

In a weird way I'm actually looking forward to this. I expect it to be funny, for one. I figure some of it will be on the edge of ridiculous to the point I can't help but laugh (just before I realize they're actually serious). It should also be interesting to see what some people think of as a pleasant work environment and the kinds of petty things people can find to be angry about. Best of all, though, I absolutely can't wait for the lunch table discussion that will be raging that day. Lunch is generally a highlight of my workday anyway and that could be one of the best yet. After that I don't think I'll be able to laugh without hurting for days.

A short bit on this whole sensitivity thing. If we want to be offended or upset we can dig hard enough to find some miniscule and otherwise meaningless corner of our world to cry about. When did being stung by something somebody said suddenly become so unbearable that we must remove all interesting or entertaining elements of discussion from our daily lives just to avoid the rare toe crunching? I mean, haven't people throughout history had to put up with stuff they didn't like? Maybe even words? But now we suddenly can't take it anymore. Never mind that people have learned to ignore this petty crap and deal with much more important things ever since God put us here. In today's enlightened age that just ain't cool.

Well, Jesse to the rescue. I have the idea to fix it all. Why don't we all just shut the heck up for the rest of our lives and never say a damn thing? Then everyone should be perfectly happy because they'll have nothing to be upset about, right? No deceptions, no jokes, no complaints, no whatever. Yeah, the world would be such a great place, eh? You're welcome.

Get over it people. It's called life. Bring on the training, baby!

| | << Main <<