Wednesday, March 04, 2009

a different take on fireproof

So I've heard a lot of great stuff about that "Christian movie"* Fireproof. Just hearing so much gushing over it from so many contemporary Christians gives me a little bit of pause. I know it's a story of a marriage that gets rescued from the brink of divorce, or something to that effect. I'm under the impression it's a bit of a family-friendly chick flick. Perhaps that's not all bad (and perhaps it is), but let's just say it's not my cup of tea. In other words, without having seen it I'll speculate that I'd probably rather eat glass for two hours then watch that fluff.

As I said, maybe it's not all bad. I don't know. I don't figure I'll find out firsthand though. But if you have a similar level of enthusiasm about said movie yet want to be able to fit in with the church couples, then fear not! There are plenty of reviews out there so you can keep up with your churchgoing friends and not feel like an outcast for having chosen to instead spend your afternoon hammering nails with your forehead. Plus, as this review lays out in detail, there could very well be a message behind the message.

Now having not seen the movie, I can't vouch for the accuracy of what she says. But I have an inkling that her assessment is closer to the truth than any of us would like. Perhaps Coffee Catholic is a bit more perceptive to the underlying views that make up the movie than a lot of folks out there.

I suspect Fireproof didn't quite escape the clutches of feminism that have ensnared much of evangelicalism. Should that surprise us? Sure, about as much as January snow in Boston.

____________________
* Is it me or is it hard not to wince upon seeing/hearing such a label? The track record of churchian products speaks for itself. In fairness, though, recent "Christian" movies haven't been too bad. I thought The Passion of the Christ was quite good and certainly unique, and I've heard reliably good things about The End of the Spear and Facing the Giants.
_____

| | << Main <<