Tuesday, December 27, 2005

nicodemus

Read Luke 14 earlier today...the first verse talks of "a prominent Pharisee" whose house Jesus ate at on the Sabbath. I've heard before -- unfortunately I don't remember when or where -- that this Pharisee was Nicodemus. I don't know if that's just speculation or if there is solid reason to believe that to be the case. I tried to find out here and couldn't find any discussion of this, but I don't think I'm just dreaming it up. Oh well, something to look into...

In any case, this Nicodemus is an interesting character. He appears in what seem to be barely related situations, from coming to Jesus at night to perhaps this meal with other Pharisees to the burial of Jesus with Joseph of Arimathea (oddly, Joseph is mentioned in all four gospels but Nicodemus only in John). Although the Bible never says outright that Nicodemus was a believer, I think there is evidence that he was. He defended Jesus to other Pharisees in John 7, not a smart career move for a Pharisee and one that would have required some boldness and conviction. He also helped a believer bury Jesus and even brought spices to the burial per Jewish customs. These are hardly the actions of a nonbeliever and even less so those of a Pharisee with no more respect for Jesus than for a dog. I don't guess there is enough there to know one way or the other, but given what we have to work with I think the case in favor of Nicodemus being a follower of Christ is far stronger than the case against.

| | << Main <<