Sunday, December 18, 2005

how things change

Just got back from my first NHL game. The Caps lost 3-2 to the Panthers but it was great fun nonetheless. There was plenty of action, plenty of chances to cheer for goals and scream at the refs and otherwise make some noise, and, most important of all, a row of drunk dudes not far behind us who provided some entertainment of their own. Not everyone in our group enjoyed their company, but I didn't mind.

But, on to the topic at hand. On the Metro on the way back, an interesting question was posed to me but someone who knows I'm a sports fan and who also knows I've been into artsy stuff recently too. So...if I had to choose between a musical and a sporting event to attend, which would I choose?

Weird as it is, that's actually a hard decision. Weirder as it is, all things equal I'd likely choose the musical. My Beowulf experience was better than a lot of sports stuff I've been to in that it actually held my interest for the entire length of the show. With sports, it's a few seconds of excitement interspersed among several minute stretches of normalcy. But with sports you actually interact with the game in a sense by cheering and yelling and such and musicals don't offer that. They also don't offer a chance to talk to the people you're with, so that'd be another drawback. So I guess my final answer would depend on the specifics of the event and who else was attending.

But just a couple years or so ago I can't imagine myself even thinking about my response to that question. I'd have been laughing too hard. But how things change I guess. It's like something that was brought up in our Hebrews study this past fall. When you taste something deeper and more meaningful, it appeals to you more and you can't go back to the old, simple ways of entertaining yourself and still be satisfied. That explains why stuff like video games and even D&D don't seem to hold much of any appeal to me anymore. It's true of so many things it's easily worth a blog post of its own, but this won't be it.

| | << Main <<