Monday, July 11, 2005

well, imagine that

And now, for the "They actually spent money and effort on research to find that out?" fact of the week, courtesy Vox:
Women working full-time are 29 per cent more likely to get divorced than those who stay at home and raise children. Research to be published this week in the European Sociological Review finds that the probability of divorce is in direct correlation to the number of hours a woman worked.
And this surprises...who? Anyone? Yet another pile of research dollars that could have been better spent. Anyone who wasn't already convinced of something this obvious must be so determined to ignore reality that they'll find a way to get by this part too.

An few interesting remarks from the comments on that thar post...
Marriage minded young men would do well to consider an Asian or a Latin woman as the odds of a lasting and happy marriage improve significantly over pairing up with a North American woman.
I've been reading this from more and more sources, and given my experience around women in general I'm inclined to think it's true. Westerners for the most part seem to have forgotten what marriage is supposed to be. The more I think about it, marrying a foreign woman--from someplace where tradition is still intact--seems a no-brainer. I've often wondered whether one would be safer and happier in the long run marrying a non-Christian (traditional) foreigner or a Christian American. Given the huge risk associated with the latter it's actually a tough call. The first choice could be preferable--better to be yoked to a submissive unbeliever who at least respects the family model than a feminazi with some hints of godliness. Not that I think I'd go there anyway, but I'm just saying. The difference is that great. Christian or not, the poisonous culture in the states is just a lot for someone to overcome. And I've met a few decent American women in my days. But the risk...is there a riskier move in all of life? Hmmn...
I don't think a woman *has* to make a choice between being a wage earner and being a good mother.
In the vast majority of marriages that's bullbleep. Plain and simple. I'm sure there are exceptions but they're certainly not the rule and something I would look to avoid.
I'm sure that when these professional women are dead and gone, their kids will say: "I'm so glad that mom was a patent attorney and nuclear physicist (or secretary or public school teacher) and that we rode in a new Escalade (or Tahoe)" as opposed to "I'm glad my mom cared enough about me to sacrifice and stay home and raise me."
And that's the clincher, folks. Nothing more to be said.

| | << Main <<