Tuesday, July 05, 2005

anywhere but here?

Been reading comments on this Vox Day post for a while. Seems I'm not the only one who wants to expatriate sometime down the road. And lots of them are in much more of a hurry than myself just to get a bit more freedom. It's interesting to see the countries that keep coming up. Most are in Latin America or the Asian Pacific, with a few scattered ones here and there. And, of course, it's universally agreed that most of Europe sucks.

I figured Egypt might make the list but I haven't seen it yet. As far as living expenses and freedom it's a nice bet. By freedom I mean real freedom, as in what's actually enforced as opposed to what's on paper. The drawbacks would be the void of any visible Protestant churches and the lack of any rights if the authorities ever come knocking. That's the catch--you're free unless you happen to be the one they dislike that day, in which case you have no rights or power whatsoever. But it would seem to be fairly easy to fly below the radar. There are plenty of expats from the U.S. and various Euro countries in the populated areas that wouldn't be there if it were terribly risky business.

But the most interesting and eye-catching thing that keeps coming up is the general agreement that the south is the place to be in this country. The people are much friendlier there, concepts of God and faith are appreciated or at least accepted, the living expenses are much lower, and the climate is easier to deal with. And, perhaps most importantly, laws and taxes are much less oppressive. From my experience all of those check out well. There aren't as many populated areas so if you want to be near much activity your options are kinda limited. But that's a huge plus for anyone who likes peace and quiet or outdoors stuff. And the terrain there is good and includes variations just about everything you might find elsewhere. Come to think of it, other than its overall remoteness and lack of stuff to do (important to a bachelor like myself with time on his hands and in need of stuff to do and ways to meet people), I can't think of any good reasons for not living somewhere in the south.

Hmmn...and I just moved from the south...to one of those more populated east coast states...with more pesky laws and impossible-to-afford housing. Man, that was ingenious. I love how I always figure this life stuff out a few years too late. If anyone were to write a one-sentence synopsis of my life thus far it would resemble that. And by the time I'm ready to move back the local tax-collecting politicians will probably have already yanked my land. Damn...live and learn I guess. But preferably before I jump.

| | << Main <<