Friday, July 01, 2005

hlsh

I guess I just don't get this whole stock market thing. A couple weeks back I saw that Healthsouth's stock was suddenly looking solid for the first time in a few months. And Scrushy's trial was wrapping up at the time too. I figured a conviction would help the company out and push the price up, and it was looking good anyway. So, with my usual (lack of) deliberation on such matters, I threw a sizeable sum of money into HLSH stock looking to make a quick buck or few.

Well, great timing. The price decides to peak just after I buy in--surprise! And Scrushy apparently stole at least enough money to buy off enough legalites to walk on all charges. Shoulda seen that coming with today's "justice" system, but didn't. And so I've lost about 7% of that in the last week alone and the stock price is going the wrong direction in a big way. Awesome.

Overall I still can't complain, though. I've made money off of every stock I own except Sux Flags, and they're at least climbing. I scored pretty big from getting some HLSH cheap and hit the jackpot when Sungard was bought out some months back. So I suppose it's done me well, though my biggest gain was unexpected and my buy-low record is about even right now. Maybe the trick is to not bother with analysis and just rely on dumb luck. Consider that dumb luck with no outside influence gets me to 50/50, and I don't think I know enough about markets and trends and stuff to get that far on R&A. So time to just buy a dartboard and start investing in random stocks? Maybe not, but I'd probably do about as well.

| | << Main <<