Sunday, September 09, 2007

greatest college football start ever?

I was reflecting on this year's college football season to date, and I don't think I could ask for much more joy than I've already had. I don't know that I've been this pleased with the start of any sports season. If I have I sure can't remember when it was. In only the first two weeks of the season, the following have already happened:

* An overrated Big 10 team (Michigan) has been humiliated at home -- twice.
* Notre Dame, my favorite team to hate, has been crushed twice by a combined score of 64-13.
* Miami, my (close) second favorite team to hate, has been embarassed in one of its worst losses ever.
* LSU has given me some reason to look down on the pitiful ACC fans (and excessive amount of rabid Hokies alumni) in my office by slaughtering supposed conference big dog Virginia Tech.

On top of that, nothing really bad has happened yet. Arkansas didn't have to open the season by getting annihilated by USC this year. The SEC has held its own against the rest of the lesser conferences in football. There hasn't been a single really depressing game yet this season. I guess if there's one bad thing it's that Michigan and Notre Dame get to play a "somebody's gotta win" game next week, so one of those two hilarious skids will have to end. But still, that's small stuff compared to the great beatdowns each has already suffered.

Seriously, I think this is the greatest inaugural two weekends of any college football season in my lifetime.

| | << Main <<