Sunday, August 28, 2005

another reminder we're being overrun by idiots

Time for another rant...driving home tonight (or last night, whatever) reminded me of the large number of oblivions on the roads 'round these parts. People either don't know some of the basics of driving etiquette or have fogotten them in their old age. Or they're too important to pay attention to the rest of us. Or they're unaware we share their world with them. Or maybe they just plain suck. But one thing's for sure, and that is my life is more stressful and irritating thanks to them.

For one, it seems that almost every driver uses his high beams all the freakin' time at night, apparently unaware or unconcerned of how much of a nuisance he is. Geez people, isn't one of the first rules of nighttime driving to always use low beams when on a busy road or approaching an oncoming vehicle? I haven't been driving as many decades as some out there but even I know this simple courtesy. So which is it, folks? Are you just unaware that other drivers exist? Or are you just too stupid to turn your lights down? Oh, you can't see well enough to drive without blinding everyone around you? Then you probably can't see well enough to avoid being a hazard to us either so just stay off the road. Just trying to be safe? Well it ain't all that safe to blind everyone else ya know. Losers.

Another problem, one I've been tired of dealing with for years, is the abundance of left lane vigilantes on every major highway I've ever been on. You know 'em, the fools that insist on staying in the left lane--the passing lane--regardless of speed or traffic. They cause logjams on busy roads, they vary their speed wildly and unpredictably, and they cause other drivers to resort to desperate tactics to get around them. The rule be simple, kids: If ya ain't passin' or turnin' left then stay to the right. Now is that so hard? Yet it seems beyond the comprehension of such drivers. Again, if I know this or have figured it out by now then most drivers out there are without excuse. But I guess they're just too dumb or too important to have much use for such common sense practices.

I must admit though, these left laners can be worth a laugh sometimes. Every now and then I'll get over to the right and start to blow by one when he suddenly speeds up and stays ahead of me. It's as if he thinks he's in a race and about to lose a spot, or maybe my trying to pass snaps him out of his oblivion trance and he realizes how slow he's going. This always brings a smile to my face. Not only is it rather odd and amusing, but sometimes the driver will keep his foot on his newly discovered gas pedal for a while and so Jesse has to dodge one less obstacle.

There's plenty more here to work with. Cell phone users are certainly on the list, although I haven't had to deal with one today. Wait, yeah I did, near RFK in D.C.--but every single driver in the District sucks so I just expect that sort of BS nonstop whenever I enter that layer of hell. And the ever-present tourist earns a spot too. How boring would the roads be without these gawkers slowing to half speed for every street sign or landmark? And of course there are the hot rod punks, who own the distinction of being annoying, pathetic, and funny all at once. But for now let's leave the list at that so I'll have some fodder for slow news weeks.

You know, there's a saying that goes something like, 95% of the people we run across are decent folk but the other 5% ruin it for all of us. But when it comes to driving the percentages are reversed.

| | << Main <<